TQA’s Certified Public Horse Trainer (For Students at TVCC)
Certified Public Horse Trainer
In training horse for the public, I was always amazed when someone would bring a horse that claimed had 90 days of “professional training” and didn’t have what some trainers would have expected at the end of the first week. With TQA’s Training Quality Assurance program I have taken the research from my masters, twenty years’ experience training horses for the public and have sought the advice of other experts in the industry to:
- Set an industry quality standard for training and selling horse to the public.
- Offer a certification process to certify the knowledge and skills needed to train and sell horses to the public.
- Offer a certification process to certify the knowledge and skills needed to work on ranches and feedlots where horsemanship, stockmanship and roping skills are required.
The goal of TQA’s Certified Public Horse Trainer certificate is to certify students that Wade Black and experts in the industry deem qualified to train and sell horses to the public. TQA offers three industry certificates (shown below) and students that earn all three will earn the TQA “Triple Crown”
The degrees and certificates offered at TVCC are focused on giving students the knowledge and skills to be successful in the equine industry. TQA’s industry certificates are focused on certifying the student’s work ethic and integrity to help these students get a job after graduation.
- TVCC Pathway Certificate
- Complete a TQA Horse Training Series (Phase 1 to Phase 4) Phase 4 = Industry Ready
- Work Experience
- Horse Training Boot Camp (Off TVCC Campus)
- TVCC Livestock Center
- Livestock Center Manager
- Booster Horse Makeup Rider
- First Year TA
For more info on TQA’s Industry Standards, Guidelines, Videos and Resources: CLICK HERE
TQA Triple Crown Winners
Students who receive the TQA Triple Crown are students that have had their work ethic and integrity tested in three different ways. If you are an employer looking for an employee, whether training horses or not. The TQA Tripple Crown is TQA’s attempt to present the industry with the best we have to offer. This certificate puts the spotlight on students that not only have the skill to get the job done, but most importantly have the character and core values to help make your business successful.
1) Maintain a 3.0 GPA through TVCC Industry Pathway Certificates
In this certificate students must meet Wade Black’s expectation if they were working for his horse training business. Wade’s classes are taught and ran like students are working for an actual horse training business and their grades reflect what kind of an employee they are.
1) Day Work and Ranch Horse Sales (TVCC Pathway Certificate)
2) Colt Starter, Assistant Trainer & Performance Horse Prospects (TVCC Pathway Certificate)
3) Must score 90% or better on student horse trainer score sheets each term.
2) Complete a TQA Horse Training Series (Phase 1 to Phase 4)
- Complete one of TQA’s horse training series through passing the Industry Colt Starting test, Assistant Trainer or earning a TQA Industry Certification in each phase (phase 1 – phase 4) of one of the Sale Horse Series (Performance Horse Selection, Training, Marketing and Sales).
- Passed Industry Colt Starting Test
- Earned Assistant Trainer Certification
- Completed Phase 1 through Phase 4 in Ranch, or Sale Horse Series
- Ranch Roping
- Fence Work
- Feed Lot
- Break Away
3) Work Experience
a) Horse Training Boot Camp: (During the Summer)
Worked for at least two months for a full-time horse trainer or rancher going through “horse trainer/rancher boot camp”. In this boot camp students work ethic and integrity is tested not only in training horses or working cows, but by putting in horse trainer/rancher hours, as well as doing jobs such as: picking pens, saddling horses, irrigating, fixing fence, driving tractor and all the other fun jobs that go with the business.
Must score 90% or better on task completion and temperament score sheets.
b) TVCC Livestock Center: (During the School Year)
- In this branch of the work experience students get their work ethic and integrity tested by working at the livestock center to help the TVCC Equine Program function to its full potential.
- Livestock Center Managers
– Maintenance Manager
– Barn Manager
– Health Manager
- Booster Horse Make Up Rider
- First Year TA